Last updated on 21/03/2017
Solutions for error fixing on different devices including SD memory card, micro SD, mini SD, XD, CF, external hard drive, pen stick, etc.
RAW / not formatted is one of the most common problems that occur on various kinds of digital devices.
Solution1. Format the media that requires formatting
If it is a memory card that wants to be formatted, you can format it in your phone or camera. If it failed or it is flash drive / external HDD asks to reformat, you can perform on computer using following methods:
Solution2. CHKDSK for RAW drive
PC says "Windows was unable to complete the format" usually because there are bad sectors on the media or it is corrupted / damaged.
For unable to format problem on SD memory card, pen drive, flash drive, portable hard disk or computer device, please try following methods to fix it:
1. Reinsert the device to another computer or back USB port of PC and try to reformat it again.
2. Fix bad sectors for the media that cannot be formatted running Windows Error-checking tool on your computer.
3. Run CMD and enter "chkdsk [drive letter]: /r" to check and repair.
4. Use diskpart to format the drive which is unable to be formatted.
5. Insert the memory card to your phone and go to "Storage" of the phone to format a card which failed to be formatted by Windows.
Error message says "The type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives" when you run CHKDSK to fix a RAW device whether it is a removable disk or internal hard disk.
Following solutions probably help resolve the problem:
Cannot open the disk drive which stores the important data? Access denied is an issue which might be caused by many reasons.
PC usually reports "[drive letter]:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." (E.g. F: is not accessible. Access is denied.)
1. Change drive letter of the hard drive, external HDD, USB drive or memory card by connecting it to your computer.
2. Take ownership of the inaccessible disk drive by following right click the inaccessible drive > Properties > Security > Advanced > click "Edit" button to change the permissions to make you take ownership of the inaccessible drive.
3. Format the inaccessible disk drive using any method that can complete the format successfully.
4. Update the driver software or uninstall the drive / USB device by following right click "My Computer" > click "Manage" > click "Device Manager" > right click the inaccessible device and select "Update Driver Software" or "Uninstall" option.
5. Run command prompt and type "chkdsk [drive letter]: /r" to fix the inaccessible drive.
If the memory card, removable disk or hard drive is damaged, you had better replace it with a new one. Otherwise, you have to send it to its manufacturer or professional repair service to fix the damaged media.
I/O device error, namely input / output device error, is alerting message which could appear when you access, format, copy or write files on a memory card, USB hard drive, flash drive, hard disk drive, etc.
The I/O device error message might show:
To fix I/O device on a removable disk or internal HDD, you can try following:
When a media is write protected, you cannot write new data, delete existing files, copy files or format the media.
It often reports message saying "The disk is write-protected" when you try formatting a card or drive or it says "The disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk" when you try to copy or delete files.
To fix errors related to disk drive write protected, here are some useful ways:
Only FAT32 and FAT32 can be recognized by Windows computer. SD, micro SD, mini SD or USB flash drive has FAT32 file system, and some external HDD and SDXC has exFAT file system. When the file system of a device changes to another, the file system might be unable to be recognized by system. Therefore, it will say "The volume does not contain a recognized file system."
1. Run an antivirus program to check the media at first.
2. Check if the hardware can be compatible with the device that reports the error. If no, you can install hardware or update driver to the media.
3. Reformat the volume that shows the error message
4. Reinstall Windows system or upgrade file system drivers
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable would happen on an SD memory card, micro SD, mini SD, SDHC, SDXC, flash drive, external hard drive and hard disk drive.
Following methods are available for corrupted and unreadable drive fix:
This problem is more frequently occur on an internal hard drive or external hard drive because of virus infection, improper operation, bad sectors, etc. For this error, we have following useful methods for choice:
Method1: Reformat the hard disk drive
Method2: Update driver software for the internal / external hard drive
Method3: Type "chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r" from command line to fix errors
Method4: Convert the file system of the drive from FAT32 to NTFS
Method5: Check if there is enough free space on the drive
Here are some symptoms that a storage device is unable to be recognized:
1. For a memory card that is not detected, you can connect it to computer to reformat it or restore the phone back to factory settings.
2. Update the driver software on computer to ensure it can work for the memory card, flash drive, external hard drive, hard disk drive which is unable to be readable.
This error message often shows on an android phone when it detects that memory card inserted in it has an unsupported file system. For this error, please follow this guide:
Step1. Reinsert the memory card to the phone (If possible, you can insert it to another phone that can support the card).
Step2. Connect the memory card to your computer via a card reader or USB cable to see if it can show on PC.
Step3. Reformat the memory card on the computer or on your phone.
Step4. Use CHKDSK tool command "chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r" to fix the memory card.
Computer has become an important tool in many people’s daily life and work, but PC easily run into some problems and stops you from using it normally or even causes data loss.
Below are some common PC problems:
PC turns to blue screen all of a sudden and then reboots. This problem usually occurs when you run a program, watch online movies, play games, etc.
PC shows black screen when the problem occurs, so it is called black screen of death.
Solutions for blue / black screen of death
Although blue screen and black screen are two different problems on PC, you can try similar ways to fix the errors:
PC cannot boot is a problem that may results from hardware issues or system problems. For hardware issues, you have to replace the damaged or incompatible hardware. For system problems, you can try following methods:
Computer may turn off due to virus infection, hardware problems, system crash, software conflict, etc. If your computer frequently shuts down or reboots all of a sudden, you can check those reasons and repair it.
1. When a device has any error, please make a backup if you still have chance to access files stored on the device.
2. If you are refused to access the media anymore, you need to use data recovery software to retrieve all files before repairing any problem.
iCare Data Recovery Pro is a data recovery tool that is able to rescue files from all kinds of digital device that has any error.
Free download iCare Data Recovery Pro
SD Memory Card CF Micro SD XD MMC Errors and Fixing
Windows Errors and Fixing
How to Articles
Related Articles from other guide
Seagate external disk recovery : recovering data from seagate external when it was not recognized by PC, reformatted by mistake, raw drive or other problems and need to restore inside imporant data.
Data Recovery Free software guide: use free software to recover data from various kinds of data loss.
How to use data recovery software : guide that shows how to use data recovery program to bring lost data back.
Free software to recover lost data: freeware to bring lost data back
Dynamic disk recovery software - restore data from dynamic disk when it was formatted, deleted, damaged etc.
Windows 7 data recovery software: data recovery from Windows 7 operating system related media drive
FAQ Data Recovery : most frequent data recovery cases
Hard Disk Data Recovery Software - recover data from hard disk when laptop desktop hard disk usb external disk encounters data loss or other problems
Format Recovery Resource : data recovery guide related with format reformat unformat
Memory Card Recovery : data recovery from memory card when it has encounters various kinds of error
Windows Data Recovery : restore data from Windows digital media when files were deleted
Fix Errors : solution for error messages that happen to a digital media