What can you do if an external hard drive becomes accessible since Windows XP says access to the disk drive is denied? Whether you want to read or write data on an external hard drive, you need to connect it to a computer. Usually, Windows XP will disable you to access an external hard drive due to many reasons like virus infection, bad sectors, file system corruption and more. This article will share solution for external hard drive data recovery when it is not accessible on Windows XP operating system.
Step1. Free download and install iCare Data Recovery on the Windows XP computer. Then, launch the software and choose a proper scan mode.
Step2. Select the external hard drive and then wait the software to scan it to search lost files.
Step3. Preview files after scanning and then save the lost files to another drive.
iCare Data Recovery is compatible with all external hard drives, so you can use it to perform Western Digital data recovery, Seagate data recovery and Samsung file recovery and more.
It is a terrible experience that Windows XP reports access to external hard drive is denied when you want to read some important data on the drive. Here are some possible reasons that may lead an external hard drive to be inaccessible:
1. External hard drive is infected with virus
Windows XP might disable you to access the external hard drive because it is infected with virus. Probably, virus corrupt the file system of external hard drive or even destroy files stored on the external hard drive, so you are not allowed to access the external hard drive normally.
2. External hard drive contains bad sectors
Another possible reason why Windows XP reports access to external hard drive is denied is that the external hard drive contains many bad sectors.
3. External hard drive is not connected properly to Windows XP
Make sure that the external hard drive is connected to your Windows XP computer properly when access to the drive is denied.
If access to external hard drive is denied on Windows XP due to similar reasons above, you can try following methods to fix the problem:
1. You can run antivirus software to remove all viruses from external hard drive.
2. You can run Windows XP built-in Error-checking tool to check and fix bad sectors on the external hard drive which has bad sectors.
Before you perform any further operation to fix the problem that Windows XP computer says access is denied, you had better run iCare Data Recovery to recover data from inaccessible external hard drive on Windows XP first of all because any further operation might lead data to be lost forever.
Sometimes, you are able open the external hard drive after plugging it to Windows XP operating system. However, you receive message that access to some files or folders are denied. If you receive such kind of error message on your external hard drive on Windows XP computer, you can do following things:
1. You can check if the file or folder is encrypted. You can right click the file or folder which is not accessible on your external hard drive and then click "Properties" =>> click "General" table =>> click "Advanced" button, and then you can check if the "Encrypt contents to secure data" is selected. You do not have permission to access the file or folder if are not the person who created it when the "Encrypt contents to secure data" is selected.
2. You may be unable to access files on external hard drive on Windows XP if you logged in as the administrator of the computer.
3. You are unable to access external hard drive on Windows XP because the external hard drive is encrypted and you forget the password.
You may meet some other similar problems which disable you to access portable hard drive normally on Windows XP computer. If you get encountering following problem on your portable hard drive on Windows XP, you can also use iCare Data Recovery to recover data from portable hard drive without accessing it.
1. You will be unable to access the portable hard drive when Windows XP says portable hard drive RAW file system needs to reformat. You probably find that the file system of portable HDD turns to RAW. Meanwhile, the capacity, free space and used space all show 0 byte space even you have stored much data on the portable hard drive.
2. Another situation you cannot access an external hard drive is that Windows XP reports "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" message on the external hard drive.
3. Portable hard drive is not accessible because Windows XP is unable to recognize the portable hard drive normally after connecting it to the USB port of your computer. You can unable to access data when portable hard drive is not recognized by Windows XP system.
4. You cannot access an external hard drive on Windows XP because it is write-protected or read-only. You do not have permission to access the external hard drive unless you can remove the write protection or disable the read-only option.
1. If access to an external hard drive is denied because you do not have permission, the first thing you should do is to make sure that you can get access to an admin account.
2. You need to know the password to access the external hard drive if it is encrypted.